We have a Hangout culture in ALC land. At least once a week I get on a Google Hangout call and talk, coordinate, share, or co-work with my peers. It’s great fun and easy (especially when we’ve set up special hangout links that are always the same, but that’s for another tutorial).
Sometimes, though, we want to capture the activities that go on in our Hangout. Lucky for us YouTube Live has got us covered. I recently did the first Network News Call using YouTube Live and wanted to share a tutorial about how you can too!.
Create Live Event
- Login to YouTube as Agile Learning Centers or which ever account you wish to save your video as. (you’ll need to be a manager of the ALC Google+ Account to use the ALC account)
- Go to ‘Creator Studio’ https://www.youtube.com/dashboard (You may have to switch or add account)
- Go to ‘Live Streaming’ https://www.youtube.com/live_dashboard
- Go to ‘Events’ https://www.youtube.com/my_live_events
- Click ‘Create New Event’ https://www.youtube.com/my_live_events?action_create_live_event=1
- Fill out Basic Info
- (Optional) Set up a post for our Google+ page, on the right.
- Advanced Settings:
- License and rights ownership: Creative Commons
- Community contributions: Yes, Allow viewers to contribute translated titles, descriptions, and subtitles/CC
- Click Create Event
- Capture the URL for the watch page. Link should look like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae_2k6DhXCw
- Capture the “Start Hangout On Air” URL
- From the control room hangout click ‘Invite People’ on the top center.
Great! You’re done. Double check that you have the following:
- A YouTube live event scheduled for the correct date and time
- A URL for the Hangout On Air dashboard (for admin)
- A URL for the Hangout On Air Invite link (for participants)
- A URL for the YouTube Watch Page (for viewers)
Admin link looks like:
Participants link looks like:
View link looks like:
- Send an email to ALF email list (or whatever group you think best). Be sure to have the following info:
- Post a message in Slack on #announcements
Tech Support Call Tomorrow 9/20 at 8:00 pm ET ! Watch Live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae_2k6DhXCw - I still need technical questions to answer! Please post them in #general
- (optional) Set an automatic reminder in #announcements when the call goes live.
- Command in Slack: /remind #announcements “Tech Support Call happening NOW! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae_2k6DhXCw” at 8pm tuesday
- (Optional) Set up Trello
- Reach out to specific people who you want to attend the call
Do the Call
- Make sure you, or someone, is on the admin hangout so they can turn the Hangout “on air”
- Introduce the call so people watching have some context
- Remember that the call is being recored and broadcast live!
After the call is done write up a little recap. You can go through the video and pick out parts to link to them, like it did in my network news recap. To link to specific parts of a YouTube video you can simply add ?t=#m#s to the URL, like so https://youtu.be/zyU0KcA5Tio?t=7m25s (This jumps to minute 7, and 25 seconds)
An easy way to do this is to view the video, click share, and then check the ‘start at’ box.
That’s about it! Happy Steaming.